To provide functional 3PL Logistics and Trans-Loading operations, outsourcing the yard and security gate through Yard Management Systems is the correct way to do it.
3PL Logistics and Trans-Loading Operations
Many retail, wholesale and manufacturing distribution companies are outsourcing the yard and security gate functions to 3PL Logistics and Trans-Loading operators. These 3PLs provide added value through their ability to bring improved efficiency and reduced costs to yard functions that are outside the core competency of their client customers. 3PL success managing these functions necessitates a strategic partnership between the 3PL and a solutions company that will provide real-time visibility of transactions and data. The Exotrac Real Time Yard Management System (YMS) provides a cloud-based software system to manage data and transactions in support of the 3PL operator. Exotrac provides added value and a focal point of enhanced control for the 3PL by ensuring real-time visibility of all data and transactions within the yard and security gate operations. Exotrac seamlessly connects the client company’s legacy systems (ERP, OMS and TMS) with the 3PL, creating a focal point to command and control yard and security gate functionality, achieving high level efficiency and accountability.
Exotrac also improves the value proposition for the 3PL on behalf of the client company and potential client customers. We see this most dramatically during the Request for Proposal (RFP) evaluation process, wherein clients already using Exotrac’s system are favorable to the idea of outsourcing yard and security gate functions to the 3PL. Essentially, having Exotrac implemented reduces the timeline and complexity for the client customers in transitioning to the 3PL. The Exotrac solution results in streamlining the company’s decision-making process regarding outsourcing these critical functions. The Exotrac YMS allows the 3PLs to proactively plan, organize and optimize their client’s supply chain. The result is supply chain efficiency, cost reduction and high level customer experience at an economical price.
- Yard and security gate systems that enable higher efficiency and reduced costs.
- Improved control of carriers’ trailer and container pools on site.
- A carrier management system facilitating pre-departure, improving overall carrier efficiency.
- Enhanced gate and fence line security.
- Visibility, status and condition of all trailers and containers within the 3PL campus.
- Yard and security gate management “features and benefits” that become part of the added value proposition for their clients, enhancing the revenue stream.
- A yard and security gate operation that provides actionable real-time visibility of all transactions to carriers, customers, client’s customers, suppliers, vendors and all levels of management.
- Reduced fuel consumption of both company-owned and yard tractor fleet.
- Return on investment delivered in months rather than years.
- No impact to the capital budget.
- Better utilization of yard, gate and 3PL campus personnel – driving down labor expense.
- Increased trailer turn rate by pre-planning door and yard moves to optimize staffing and proximity.
- An enhanced ability to trans-load and cross-dock effectively through application of FIFO (first-in-first-out) rules in combination with predetermined WMS sequencing plan.
- Reduced overall handling costs.
- Better yard and security gate utilization, reducing square footage needed to stage trailers.
- Improved client speed-to-market.
- Cloud-based technology that provides the ultimate in flexibility requiring little or no 3PL or client customer corporate IT involvement.
- A significant reduction of detention and demurrage fees.
- Reduced data entry error rates.
- Reduced expedited freight expense.
- Greater flexibility to adjust to changes in volume, seasonality, and customer expectations.
- A yard operation that performed as a portal – effectively connecting the client company’s legacy, OMS, TMS and WMS with those of the 3PL.
- Reductions in overall transportation spending.
- A Web dashboard that provides instant access to data via computer, smart phone, tablet or any wireless device allowing instant reaction to exception situations.
- A reporting mechanism based upon Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) – empowering both managers and executives to take immediate corrective action where necessary.
- Improved visibility, transparency, accountability and communication throughout the supply chain.
- On demand dispatch move functionality for Yard Jockey operations.
- FIFO (first-in-first-out) prioritization.
- Know when orders are processed in real-time, improving compliance and inventory management.
- Manage any type of shipment or load type including: prepaid, collect, LTL, TL, Container and parcel with exception tracking and reporting.
- Expandable software design allows optimization of single or multiple site operations.
- Seamless transition with corporate legacy systems, ERP, WMS, TMS and vendor supplier systems.
- Real-time visibility of all assets, locations and transactions – 24/7/365.
- Current processes are analyzed and reengineered to ensure optimum efficiency.
- Utilization of the “local” terminology streamlines the training process and overall installation timeline by retaining as many points of familiarity as possible.
- Flexible software platforms are 90% functional out of the box, with 10% tailored to operational needs.
- Performance tracking and exception reporting on trailer arrival and departure, measuring carrier and drayage company compliance.
- Dashboard metrics allow management to visualize yard activity and equipment placement, as well as detention and demurrage.
- Know what is in each trailer or container, when it will arrive and what to do with it. when it arrives gives the ‘3PL’ team the optimum efficiency and improves the overall operational effectiveness.
- The system is a verified management tool for managing vendor and supplier compliance accomplished through the automation of physical yard checks and simplified door plan management in gate and out gate, door cycle and transit between campus facilities in real-time.
- Web portal allows customer, carrier, rail yard and port to view their respective trailer pool.
- Key Performance Indicators analytics provide management reports necessary to drive process improvements.
“ The Exotrac system gave us visibility we sorely needed allowing us to increase our trailer throughput as well as improved our on-time dispatches outbound from our facilities. Yard jockey labor hours were reduced with our moves-per hour increasing sufficiently to allow us to operate each of our shifts with one less yard person.! ”